Essex is located at the heart of the London-Stansted-Cambridge Innovation Corridor, positioning businesses within Europe’s largest Life Sciences and Healthcare technologies cluster.
Essex’s state-of-the-art Research and Business Parks offer fast connections to both Cambridge and London via the M11 motorway. These strategic business locations provide Life Sciences and Healthcare companies with direct access to world-class people, knowledge, funding and collaborative networks, at significantly lower cost than either Cambridge or London can offer.
Essex’s Life Sciences and Healthcare cluster comprises around 300 companies (Experian) specialising in the following areas . . .
- Research, development and manufacture of medical devices
- Pharmaceutical products and preparations
- Natural science and engineering research
Essex’s strategic location - between London and Cambridge - provides businesses with direct access to world-leading centres of Life Science and Healthcare research and development . . .
- The London-Stansted-Cambridge Innovation Corridor encompasses 37 world-class Life Sciences research centres and 1,400 Life Sciences businesses
- Essex provides easy access to two of Europe’s top 3 ranked universities for Life Sciences -the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London (Times Higher Education rankings, 2014-15)
- Chesterford Research Park, Essex - a key asset in the Cambridge region’s Life Sciences research cluster - is located just 14 miles (35 minutes’ drive time) from central Cambridge
- The University of Essex is a UK Top 20 ranked university for research excellence (REF, 2014)
Essex can provide businesses with access to a large-scale, highly skilled Life Sciences and Healthcare workforce:
- The London-Stansted-Cambridge Innovation Corridor accounts for 43,000 jobs in Life Sciences - 19.6% of England’s total employment in the sector
- The universities of Essex, Cambridge and London together provide 35,500 new medicine, life sciences and healthcare graduates every year
- Every year, Essex enrols more than twice as many students in Life Science-related courses as Cambridge (10,465 compared with 4,560)
Essex can provide high-specification research, technology and business park accommodation for Life Sciences and Healthcare companies, including . . .
- Chesterford Research Park - one of the Cambridge cluster’s key research and development locations – just 14 miles from Cambridge city centre
- Harlow Enterprise Zone - strategically located between London and Cambridge, with direct access to the M11 and Stansted Airport
- MedBIC Business Innovation Centre - located on Anglia Ruskin University’s Chelmsford campus, providing state-of-the-art accommodation for medical and advanced engineering technology businesses
Essex’s strategic location between the major Life Science hubs of London and Cambridge provides companies with easy access to both centres while reducing costs significantly.
In Essex, labour costs for a typical Life Sciences research centre are up to 30% cheaper than in comparable UK and European locations. For office accommodation, Essex can deliver cost savings of up to 85%.
Essex offers proximity to the major technology business funding centres of London and Cambridge, providing companies with direct access to potential sources of bank, equity, venture capital or business angel finance
Essex delivers unbeaten connectivity to UK and international markets, for business people, freight and data . . .
- Just 30 minutes from London’s global business and Life Sciences hub (by train)
- Prestigious business locations just 35 minutes from Cambridge (drive time)
- Direct access to the UK motorway network via M25, London’s orbital motorway, and M11
- 6 London airports within 1.15 hours drive time (including London Heathrow), delivering comprehensive global connectivity
- ‘The UK’s Multimodal Gateway’: 4 international deep sea ports, 6 rail freight terminals and the UK’s 3rd largest cargo airport (London Stansted) in Essex
- UK top-ranked broadband internet coverage (Ofcom rank: 1)
See here for Essex County Council's response to the Government's Industrial Strategy...