Essex is the location of choice for high-technology businesses seeking world-class knowledge, highly skilled personnel, access to specialist funding and global connectivity.
With close proximity to both Cambridge and London, Essex provides businesses with easy access to the UK’s major centres of technology innovation and funding, in combination with a significantly reduced cost base.
The companies in Essex’s high-tech cluster research, develop and manufacture products across diverse technology areas including ICT, electronics, optics, sensors and advanced engineering, serving industry sectors including:
- Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space
- Automotive and Transportation
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Renewable Energies
Essex is located at the heart of the London-Stansted-Cambridge Innovation Corridor, providing businesses with direct access to world-leading research and development capabilities and collaborative networks . . .
- Essex offers Research Parks just 35 minutes’ drive time from the University of Cambridge – the UK No.1 ranked university (The Guardian rankings, 2016)
- Essex provides easy access to Europe’s No.1 and No.2 ranked universities for Engineering and Technology – the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London (Times Higher Education rankings, 2014-15)
- The university of Essex is a UK Top 20 ranked university for research excellence (REF, 2014)
- In 2015, Nesta identified Essex as a UK ‘High-Tech and Creative Economy Hotspot’
Essex can deliver the highly skilled people and first-class education provision required by high-tech businesses . . .
- Essex provides businesses with access to the large-scale knowledge workforces of Cambridge and Greater London – both within commutable distance
- Essex is home to the UK’s 2nd largest advanced engineering cluster, comprising 4,000 companies and 41,000 people employed, as well as an additional 200,000 advanced engineering workers within commutable distance
- Essex has the further and higher education infrastructure needed to provide high-technology companies with a pipeline of skilled, qualified personnel. 2,400 students enrol each year in engineering, technology and computer sciences courses, and fully funded Knowledge Exchange Placements allow Masters students to work on company projects related to their courses
Essex can provide state-of-the-art research, technology and business park accommodation for high-technology companies, including . . .
- Harlow Enterprise Zone - strategically located between London and Cambridge, with direct access to the M11 and Stansted Airport
- Medbic Business Innovation Centre - located on the Anglia Ruskin University campus, providing high-specification accommodation for medical and advanced engineering technology businesses
Essex provides high-technology businesses with value-adding benefits combined with significant cost savings:
- -54% lower property costs than London averages (Colliers, 2015)
- -38% lower property costs than Cambridge averages (Colliers, 2015)
- -24% savings on labour costs for a typical R&D facility versus competitor UK high-tech locations
Essex offers proximity to the major technology business funding centres of London and Cambridge, providing companies with direct access to potential sources of bank, equity, venture capital or business angel finance.
Essex delivers unbeaten access to UK and international markets, for business people, freight and data . . .
- Just 30 minutes from London’s global business hub (by train)
- Prestigious business locations just 35 minutes from Cambridge (drive time)
- Direct access to the UK motorway network via M25, London’s orbital motorway, and M11
- 6 London airports within 1.15 hours drive time (including London Heathrow), delivering comprehensive global connectivity
- ‘The UK’s Multimodal Gateway’ - 4 international deep sea ports, 6 rail freight terminals and the UK’s 3rd largest cargo airport (London Stansted) in Essex
- UK top-ranked broadband internet coverage (Ofcom rank: 1)