The city of Chelmsford is proving to be an attractive and strategic location to businesses wishing to locate close to London in a place with vibrant business environment and excellent transport infrastructure. According to consumer insight experts, Experian, Chelmsford is the biggest business base in Essex with the area home to nearly 12,000 businesses.
Businesses are staying and growing in Chelmsford. Earlier this year US owned cosmetics company Benefit and specialist insurer Amlin relocated their UK headquarters in Chelmsford - a clear indication to other businesses of the benefits of setting up in the city.
Chelmsford is an ideal business location…
- On the doorstep of London and Cambridge
- Excellent access to Europe
- Fast railway link to London and London Stansted airport (which operates more continental flights than any other European airport)
- Operates one of the busiest railway stations in the east of England with over 8 million passengers a year
Belief in Chelmsford as a business hub
Companies that have recently moved into Chelmsford include commercial property consultants Lambert Smith Hampton and independent assurance, tax and advisory firm Grant Thornton. Grant Thornton, who has offices in over 130 countries, has chosen the UK’s newest city as the location for their first office in Essex.
“Essex is home to so many dynamic businesses who are prepared to seize opportunities, invest and grow. And with the county’s close proximity to the ports of Felixstowe and London Gateway, plus Stansted and Southend airports, as well as bordering London, the international possibilities for these businesses are huge. Our expert team will be on hand to give ambitious Essex companies the support and guidance they need to really take flight.”
Paul Dearsley, Head of Essex, Grant Thornton
“By moving to bigger and better premises, we hope to send a message locally that we are optimistic about the potential to grow our business in and around Chelmsford. Located in Chelmsford city centre, this new office will enable us to maintain close relationships with our public sector clients and with close proximity to the A12 and M25, easily access our customers across the county and beyond.”
Paul Fitch, Head of Office – Chelmsford, Lambert Smith Hampton
Investing in Chelmsford – the UK’s newest city
The financial sector is well represented in Chelmsford by IFDS, QBE, Royal & Sun Alliance, Amlin, Cofunds & Coutts. Chelmsford has also got a very strong community of science and technology companies such as e2v and BAE Systems who are taking advantage of the city’s strong technological skill base, close position to Higher Education institutions and easy access to London, Cambridge and Europe.
Legal firms continue to thrive in Chelmsford. Birketts, which has offices in Chelmsford, had a record turnover of almost £35m in the latest financial year whilst one of the largest law firms in Essex. Birkett Long, has recently acquired solicitors Asher Prior Bates. This is the sixth acquisition that Birkett Long has made in as many years.
New developments in Chelmsford
Chelmsford is also undergoing significant expansion. Exciting new developments include . . .
- Grade A office space, retail and community units including a potential 9,820 square metres at City Park West and 7,645 square metres at Marconi Evolution both in the heart of the city and adjacent to Chelmsford railway and bus stations
- A further new development offering 5,549 square metres of high quality headquarter grade A office space at CM2 & The Exchange in north Chelmsford close to the proposed new railway station at Greater Beaulieu Park. This area of Chelmsford already has already established itself as a great commercial area with significant occupiers including Visteon, Vodafone, ebm-Papst, CHP and Battelle
- Springfield Business Park and Countryside already have planning permission to build a premier business park extending to 58,000 square metres and space for warehousing and manufacturing still exists
- The MedBIC Innovation Centre at Anglia Ruskin University is now 75% occupied
- The Bond Street development including John Lewis, several high quality retailers and a new cinema, is due for completion in the city centre in late 2016 and will create approximately 350 jobs
- Several other developments both in the city centre and surrounding areas are underway including the redevelopment of the Essex Cricket ground and Chelmsford railway station